Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Identifying Punch Marks on Persian Coins  (Read 2511 times)

Cameron

Identifying Punch Marks on Persian Coins
« on: March 21, 2015, 09:46:05 pm »
Back in October, I got a Persian Siglos from the time of Artaxerxes I.  When I bought it, I was told that the punch marks range from the areas around India to the Mediterranean.  I wanted to be able to ID the rest, since there are 5 total on the coin.  I searched google, and found a page somewhere on this website showing some of the punchmarks, but it does not tell me anything about the punchmarks, just a number.  I was wondering if there was some place where it would cover punchmarks from Persian coins and tell me a little about them.  Thanks!

PS:  one looks Like the Hebrew "Aleph", so I'm somewhat confident on that one :) .

Cameron

Re: Identifying Punch Marks on Persian Coins
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 05:57:08 pm »
Yes, this is the page I found also, but I was wondering if there was a place that would tell a little more about the punchmarks, like where they come from (in the empire).  Thanks!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 04:30:26 am »
I don't think anyone knows where they come from.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 05:04:45 am »
This could be a good opportunity for you to start a thread dedicated to Persian Siglos with countermarks. Sharing your thoughts on this particular area of coinage will no doubt prompt others to join in and share their knowledge.

Cameron

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 05:20:37 pm »
All right, well, these are the punch arms on my Siglos

4 I do not know where they originate, but one, that looks like the Hebrew Aleph, I am guessing comes from Modern day Israel and surrounding areas.

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 05:14:56 pm »
This could be a good opportunity for you to start a thread dedicated to Persian Siglos with countermarks

Good idea

But,
All right, well, these are the punch arms on my Siglos.

Better pictures would help

Cameron

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 01:17:55 pm »
I'm sorry, but this is the best camera I have, but I'll try and put better pictures if I can.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 04:25:14 am »
It's probably not the camera. Are you using the macro function and a tripod or similar way of steadying the camera?
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity