Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Julian mint?  (Read 497 times)

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Julian mint?
« on: March 21, 2015, 05:12:01 pm »
hi all,

since Romans really aren't my forte i am turning to the experts to help me out here.
when money is tight but i really need a 'fix' i usually try to find a cheap Julian or Marcus Aurelius to tide me over. that's what i did last week with this Julian/Spes Repubicae. i think its in great shape for the price, although the mint mark is off the flan. so i'm wondering if someone more knowledgable than myself might be able to identify the mint from the style? from browsing Wildwinds i'm leaning toward Thessalonika, but this is a very unscientific conclusion.

i don't have the coin in hand yet, but here is the dealer photo...

thanks in advance for any help.

keeping up with my Joneses,
~ Peter

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Julian mint?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 03:31:31 am »

Obverse legend break ..IVLIANV  SNOB.. points
according to Guido Bruck to ARL or HER.

Pekka K

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Julian mint?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 04:49:20 pm »
thank you Pekka, that may help me in my search.

~ Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity