Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Commodus denarius not in RIC (?)  (Read 780 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Commodus denarius not in RIC (?)
« on: March 18, 2015, 07:11:20 am »
Hi!

I could not find this denarius of Commodus (2,6g-18mm -180') in RIC, Cohen and BM - TR P VIII IMP V COS IIII PP with Roma seated with Victory and spear. There is RIC 57 with seated Roma, but it is IMP VI, not IMP V. Interesting enough that Roma standing is present in both issues: IMP V (RIC 49) and IMP VI (RIC 58). I think that it was logical that both standing and seated Roma where minted in very close consequential issues. However seated Roma with IMP V seemed to drop out from RIC and Cohen. Do you know any other references on this type?

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,

Z.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Commodus denarius not in RIC (?)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 07:30:20 am »

RSC 854b, BMC p. 705 (R.D. Hoard).

Pekka K

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 07:49:00 am »
Hi Pekka,

Thank you for prompt reply! Now I can see it in Reka Devnia hoard. It is listed in the very end of the chart as unlisted in Cohen - there was only one specimen in Reka Denvia. So, it is not a common one, I suppose.

Thx!

Z.

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 03:13:48 pm »
Hi!

I would like to add one more coin to my earlier thread. This new denarius is very similar to the one that I have posted already, but it is TR P VII, not TR P VIII. Interesting enough that it is not noted in RIC too, as well as it is not in Cohen, RSC, BM, RD. Do you have any references on this coin? Is it really a unique one, or I missed something?

Ob. M COMMODUS ANTONINUS AVG, laur head right
Rev. TR P VII IMP V COS IIII PP, Roma seated left with Victory and Spear

RIC-, Cohen-, RSC -

3,12g -18mm -0'

Thank you for your time,

Z.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 04:04:48 pm »
Commodus' TR P VII changed to VIII on 10 Dec. 182, three weeks before he became COS IIII on 1 Jan. 183.

So your coin, with a clear COS IIII, must in fact be TR P VIII; the third I was obscured by the impinging figure of Victory.

Still a rare coin, the same as the one you showed at the beginning of this thread: reported by BMC p. 705 from a single specimen in the Reka Devnia hoard, which was described in the hoard report on p. 91 and illustrated on pl. III, 40. That RD specimen is from different dies than either of yours.
Curtis Clay

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 04:15:32 am »
Curtis, thank you for figuring out the correct dating of this denarius! I suspected something was odd in it, but could not understand what exactly...thank you!

cheers,

z.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity