Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My Magna Graecia library  (Read 9162 times)

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: My Magna Graecia library
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2018, 09:05:22 pm »
here's a couple of new Magna Graecia auction catalogs I just added, both small and from Bank Leu in 1961. the first is all Tarentum (Taras), while the second covers a number of Greek cities in Lucania.
I really only needed the first one, which I've already made use of, but I decided to take advantage of the opportunity to get the set. and they were from Forvm, so why not?   ;)

http://www.librarything.com/work/22080159/book/158216851
http://www.librarything.com/work/22080139/book/158216650

~ Peter

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2018, 11:25:52 am »

Thanks +++

c.rhodes

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2019, 05:43:31 pm »
I added volume one of the Oliver Hoover Handbook series a little while ago. This is the Magna Graecia installment, first in the series but last to be published, so I've been waiting awhile since it's really the only one i needed (although i have the Sicily volume as well).
I find it to be more supplemental than essential, but it's nice to have anyway...

https://www.librarything.com/work/23687424/book/173404093

- Peter

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2019, 03:27:54 pm »
A hearty thanks!  Your posts here have spurred me to join LibraryThing and do what I should have started long ago: catalog my coin books.  I now approach that site with the same determination and attention to detail as I do my coin collecting and cataloging.  So I am now over 80 Greek coin books and pamphlets cataloged, with many an inexpensive reprint among them, several volumes of the ANS ACNAC series, and yes, a couple SNGs. 

https://www.librarything.com/catalog/Anaximandros

My latest new book is also Hoover's Handbook of Greek Coins, volume I: Magna Graecia.  It satisfies a craving to have lots of references, especially those in contemporary works.

Cheers~
Anaximander

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2019, 01:46:35 pm »
Cool!
Yes, LT is a great resource of which I'm surprised more coin collectors don't avail themselves.

Do you use the same handle there?

- Peter

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2019, 06:40:10 am »
Yes, LT is a great resource of which I'm surprised more coin collectors don't avail themselves.
Do you use the same handle there?

I use the name Anaximandros on LibraryThing, since Anaximander was already taken.  
I did find something of a learning curve there, as I did here, but it's worth the effort.

Anaximander

Offline Steve Moulding

• Consul
    • Auction & Provenance Databases
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2021, 09:37:41 pm »
Wow. I had no idea about LibraryThing until I read this thread. What a great resource!
I've uploaded some of my books: https://www.librarything.com/catalog/smoulding

Daehn just arrived from Forum. Very useful.

This will keep me busy (busier).

Thank you!

Steve

Steve Moulding
New York

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2021, 08:59:46 am »
Nice reference collection, Steve. 

That was a timely reminder for me to update my LibraryThing catalog with my 2021 additions...
SNG Great Britain V. Oxford. Parts 3, 4, & 5.
SNG Denmark. Aarhus.
Vecchi. Italian Cast Coinage
Amandry-Hurter. Le Rider Travaux.
Sotheby's. The Lawrence Stack Collection

Cheers~

Offline Steve Moulding

• Consul
    • Auction & Provenance Databases
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2021, 10:46:59 am »
Thanks Chris. Nice adds to your library! I have it bookmarked at LibraryThing. I'm stlll missing a few of the SNG's, but no hurry.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Moulding
New York

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2021, 10:24:16 am »
When I was a young man I met a then-elderly archaeologist who had done work in what is now Albania between the First and Second World Wars.  He told about getting stranded in the spring in an Albanian village because a bridge over a river had washed out.  The local priest invited him to the service in honor of a local saint, which consisted of a procession up to a ruined ancient temple where a ceremony was conducted in honor of St. Zeus.  He was informed that he was a powerful saint who threw thunderbolts at God's direction.  He was also informed that the Muslim village across the river thought he was a Muslim holy man, which the priest thought was very silly of them.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity