Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Diocletian Mystery.  (Read 493 times)

DC_74

Diocletian Mystery.
« on: March 10, 2015, 08:08:18 pm »
First off, thank you for taking the time to read this.

I have a Diocletian that I cannot find ANYWHERE. There is not a single picture on the internet that has the front and back of the coin. It appears to be a Diocletian that's 2 cm wide. It was found in an uncleaned lot that I bought from a proven dealer. The front can be found easy enough, but the back is what's killing me. It is from the Heraclea mint, GAMMA office. That's the rub. I cannot find a single example of Gamma office that isn't Maximian. I had read somewhere that  post reform, some coins were taken out of circulation. Is this a possibility?

Two of the pics I have added are 2x magnification and flooded with light to show detail. I included a 3rd one with regular lighting to show how black the coin is to the normal eye.

Thank you again for your time. I am an newly minted ancient coin enthusiast and this is my first post ever.

DC_74

Re: Diocletian Mystery.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 08:13:32 pm »
Also, the coin is not completely clean so it looks rough at 2x.

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 09:15:54 pm »
There is not a single picture on the internet that has the front and back of the coin.

There are a lot of coins that you will not find pictures of on the internet. This is a common coin that is listed in RIC though. You can find the reference by using this page - http://www.catbikes.ch/coinstuff/coins-ric.htm

just scroll down to the CONCORDIA MILITVM types and click on the link.
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

DC_74

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 09:23:17 pm »
Quote from: Victor on March 10, 2015, 09:15:54 pm
There is not a single picture on the internet that has the front and back of the coin.

There are a lot of coins that you will not find pictures of on the internet. This is a common coin that is listed in RIC though. You can find the reference by using this page - http://www.catbikes.ch/coinstuff/coins-ric.htm

just scroll down to the CONCORDIA MILITVM types and click on the link.

Thank you for the help/info. I appreciate your quick response!

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 09:26:18 pm »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity