Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help ID this Roman? coin  (Read 779 times)

Offline Danny N

• Consul
Help ID this Roman? coin
« on: March 08, 2015, 11:33:14 pm »
Hi,
I have no idea about this coin - any help appreciated.
27 mm and 9.5 gms.
adiuvantes populus est sibiipsi praemium

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Help ID this Roman? coin
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 12:15:58 am »
Hi Dan,

The reverse reminds me of Spain, Carthago Nova, RPC 151. But the obverse portrait doesn't match up.

The reverse also reminds me somewhat of the various Macedon AE issues (Amphipolis, Thessalonika, etc.) of Augustus-Claudius with statues on pedestals.

Meepzorp

Offline Danny N

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 06:31:54 am »
Thanks for your tip Meepzorp.
I have tried searching but no luck.
The obverse does resemble Augstus now that you mention it.

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 08:03:27 am »
This one is tough.  I was leaning rather on a younger looking emperor and one with curly hair.  Perhaps Geta?  ...and maybe Caracalla, but I can find any great matches visually.

Offline Danny N

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 04:52:43 am »
My initial thought was Caracalla but too hard to be certain. I can also see a resemblance to Augustus but think my initial gut feeling was more likely although not confident.
If I try to narrow down options through process of elimination it would be very helpful what you think the reverse is?
I can make out what is possibly an altar or something similar and there is what looks like a female figure facing left but I am not experienced enough to pick it without readable text or a very very clear image.
Any suggestions on the reverse would be most helpful.
Many thanks for your help or any further help anyone is able to offer.

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 05:33:29 am »
Head of Hércules on obverse ?

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 08:06:04 am »

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 11:45:45 am »

Muscled Apollo or Dionysos on the reverse is my interpretation.  Perhaps somewhat like:

Serdica Varbanov 2541  Geta AE30 of Serdica, Thrace. AVT K P CEPTIMIOC GETAC, laureate head right / OVLPIAC CEPDIKHC, Apollo standing left holding patera and branch, altar at foot. 

Offline Danny N

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 10:02:07 pm »
Wow. I'm impressed.
The reverse is a definite match - even some of the faint letters visible like the H to the right line up exactly.
The obverse is a little harder to be sure but I think you may be right - the curly hair, the beard and the profile look right.

Many thanks for your help.

Offline Danny N

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 04:47:17 am »
Here is a Caracalla example.
I think the portrait seems a better match due to shape of head - around the brow in particular.

From ASC Caracalla Æ27 of Hadrianopolis, Thrace. 198-217. Laureate head r. / Apollo standing facing, holding patera over flaming altar, and laurel-branch. Varbanov 3447. 12.27g, 27mm.

It is the right diameter - weight is down a bit 9.5 compared to 12.27 grams but this could be due to wear and corrosion.

Interested if anyone has an opinion.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity