Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: L. Furius Brocchus denarius (c. 63 BC)- was this overstruck on something else?  (Read 533 times)

Offline lordmarcovan

• Consul
And if so, what do you suppose the undertype was?

Note the "booger" thing under Ceres' nose (though I suppose that could be an engraving anomaly from the die?), and the apparent stuff going on in the fields behind the curule chair on the reverse.

I guess maybe it could have been overstruck on an earlier Republican denarius?

I'm trying to picture quadrigas and stuff like that, but just can't make heads or tails of it.  (Or maybe a skinny, stretched-out single horse like on the L. Calpurnius Piso Frugi denarii?  Perhaps my imagination runs rampant.  But it sure does look like something is goin' on, though...)  What do you think?

[LINKS TO IMAGES REMOVED BY ADMIN - PLEASE UPLOAD IMAGE TO THE DISCUSSION BOARD]

All coins are guaranteed for eternity