Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another Danubian Strymon/Trident?  (Read 1329 times)

chrismoss

Another Danubian Strymon/Trident?
« on: March 02, 2015, 03:50:02 pm »
I think I've got it figured out, but this example is sufficiently different from all the others I could find, that I wanted to submit it to the wiser ones for an opinion. So, I think I have here yet another example of the Danubian Celtic imitatives of the Macedonian Strymon/Trident issue SNG Cop 1299. The incorrect legend and trident certainly fit, though the obverse doesn't look very tribal. Perhaps one of the "very worn dies" referred to in the NumisWiki article? Weight is 4.78 g, dimensions 19 x 16 mm, and the die rotation (assuming the trident points up) is about 33 degrees. Sorry, got lazy and just scanned it, so the slightly schyphate shape of the coin makes the rim of the obverse somewhat fuzzy in the image. Appreciate your thoughts.

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Another Danubian Strymon/Trident?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 04:22:56 pm »
Yes, but i think the dies are not worn but are just flat engraved.

The flan and style looks quite good for these issues compared to my specimen:

regards

chrismoss

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 04:57:26 pm »
Thanks! Yes, I had no idea it was a tribal issue when I picked it up. Appreciate your input.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 11:04:45 pm »
Ypurs is much, much better style than most, but certainly imitative.

chrismoss

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 01:44:02 pm »
Thanks! Very grateful for your thoughts. Indeed, the obverse was so nice that I was intially looking at stylistic similarities with certain Sicilian issues and only later happened upon the Danubian Celtic series. Cheers!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 09:13:48 am »
Click on Danubian Celts to see the NumisWiki article. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity