Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Does this silver coin need cleaning?  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Russell J

• Legionary
Does this silver coin need cleaning?
« on: March 02, 2015, 01:56:51 am »
My first coin is an Athenian Tetradrachm. I really enjoy carrying it around and playing with it.

As the attached image shows, the right side of the face has some blemishes like black goo on top of the silver.

Should I leave well enough alone, or clean it? If I should clean it: why? Finally, how should I clean it?

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
Re: Does this silver coin need cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 09:26:13 am »
Hi Russel, if this is an authentic coin, I wouldn't be too fond of carrying it around because of the value;)

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 10:20:58 am »
Should I leave well enough alone, or clean it? If I should clean it: why? Finally, how should I clean it?

I think your answer can be found in the last line of your post.  Cleaning might improve the appearance, but carries some risk, often irreversable, in terms of screwing up the process, finding something undesirable underneath, removing the nice patina, etc.  Cleaning can be delayed with no real ill effects to the coin (unless it involves bronze disease which is not the case here).  Your post indicates that you don't have the experience to know what you're doing so it would be wise to leave the coin as it is. If the stuff really bothers you and you just can't wait, then you'd be wise to consider paying an experienced conservator to handle it.

Offline Russell J

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 03:16:32 pm »
Hi Russel, if this is an authentic coin, I wouldn't be too fond of carrying it around because of the value;)

The coin has a large cut in the back, so it was only $200. I carry it around as my 'lucky coin,' and I hope I don't lose it. I really enjoy having something that old on me.

I think your answer can be found in the last line of your post.  Cleaning might improve the appearance, but carries some risk, often irreversable, in terms of screwing up the process, finding something undesirable underneath, removing the nice patina, etc.  Cleaning can be delayed with no real ill effects to the coin (unless it involves bronze disease which is not the case here).  Your post indicates that you don't have the experience to know what you're doing so it would be wise to leave the coin as it is. If the stuff really bothers you and you just can't wait, then you'd be wise to consider paying an experienced conservator to handle it.

Ok, so I think I will take it to a coin shop and ask them whether it could be cleaned.

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 05:04:10 pm »
If it's just your "lucky coin" I shouldn't worry too much about cleaning it.  Don't think your luck will be better if it's cleaned.  Actually I like it as is.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 06:46:48 pm »
Ok, so I think I will take it to a coin shop and ask them whether it could be cleaned.

Unless your local brick and mortar shop routinely deals in ancients/conservation I'm not sure I'd rely much on their opinion.  I agree with Bill W4, it seems fine as it is.

BTW, I had a bad habit of carrying around the odd ancient or two until I dropped a fine Constantius follis in a local bar.  Did get it back, rewarding the finder appropriately, but the experience immediately cured me of the habit.  Hope your luck is better.

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 06:59:57 pm »
Dear Stlnats,

Over all , it is your coin .

If you like it shiny , put it in fresh lemon juice for awhile
see if the black points go away .
Then wash it well with water and soap after that place in distilled water for 5 to 6 days , dry well then FORVM flip.

Use always Foam cups , also all operations above have to be done in warm place ( warm room)
Sam Mansourati

Offline Russell J

• Legionary
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 04:13:00 pm »

Unless your local brick and mortar shop routinely deals in ancients/conservation I'm not sure I'd rely much on their opinion.  I agree with Bill W4, it seems fine as it is.

BTW, I had a bad habit of carrying around the odd ancient or two until I dropped a fine Constantius follis in a local bar.  Did get it back, rewarding the finder appropriately, but the experience immediately cured me of the habit.  Hope your luck is better.

There are a couple of ancient coin dealers in the bay area. Have this one in mind to check out, in Palo Alto. He seems legit. http://www.yelp.com/biz/treasure-island-stamps-and-coins-palo-alto http://www.tistamps.com/

Offline Russell J

• Legionary
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 07:20:09 pm »
So I really wish I'd listened to you. I lost this coin by carrying it around. I *think* it is under the seat of my car, in some crack or nook. Have to take the seat out to find out... I felt a coin in there some place I couldn't get, and can't see no matter how I move the seat around.

I paid only $200, because of three test cuts (one big one across the owl). I can't find a comparable coin for less than $400. I bought it from Gert Boersema, a dealer this site refers to as quality, so I guess I either got a good deal or I don't really understand coin grading. Definitely the latter, maybe the former?

Man, I loved having this coin around me. I could *FEEL* the history, you know?

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 02:26:06 pm »
Much too good for carrying around in your pocket. Get a very worn, cheap, ideally pre-holed coin to put on your key-chain or a necklace. You'll have to look around to find the perfect coin but that's the kind you don't have to worry about scratching or losing. I still wouldn't carry it around loose. Or, alternatively, put a coin in your wallet, in a plastic coin capsule that you can just replace when it gets too scrached. I'm not sure whether they make capsules for Ahens tets though.  :)
Andreas Reich

Offline Russell J

• Legionary
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 02:28:19 pm »
Thats a good idea. If I find it, maybe I'll find a case the coin will fit in and attach that to the keychain, which I do not lose.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 03:00:50 pm »
Consider that you lost it just like some poor sap 2500 years ago... ;D

I've also lost an intaglio with mars engraved in it.  Fell right out of my ring one day.  The comfort was knowing that it probably feel out of someone else's ring 2000 years ago just as it did mine.  Who knows in another 2000 years someone else may have it set in their ring, enjoy it for a few years and then promptly loose it too!

Offline Russell J

• Legionary
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 03:24:14 pm »
hah, very funny :) I hope so.

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 08:19:39 am »
Hey Russel,  I just got a coin in the mail the other day that fell out of my pocket and into one of the hidden spots under my seat.  I was sweating, because over here in Ottawa there is loads of salt put on the roads and it gets into your car.  If this applies to you I'd grab a coffee and 'go to town' looking for it ;)

Offline Russell J

• Legionary
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 03:01:51 pm »
I spent half an hour looking for it. Got to pop the seat out in the next few days. Just hope I don't mess up the airbag sensor doing it. Dealer wanted $74 to do it.

Offline Russell J

• Legionary
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 08:22:25 pm »
So, I finally popped the seat out and it was WAY under a flap I couldn't access without the seat off. Even then it was hard to reach.

I got my coin back!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 08:50:47 pm »
Nice!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity