Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mysterious prutah  (Read 1783 times)

a

Mysterious prutah
« on: February 27, 2015, 04:27:54 pm »
Hello,

This prutah is of normal size and weight. The style is regular too. I can't recognize the king's name. There are no standard patterns for Yehonatan or Yehohanan. More of this, the leftmost letter at the second row is clear NUN, but letter before it looks like BETH. The leftmost letter in third row is CHET, which makes sense as start of "chever" according to the standard legend.

The Beth before Nun doesn't make sense with any interpretation. Any ideas what this can be?

Regards,
Explorer

Offline Snegovik

• Caesar
Re: Mysterious prutah
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 12:26:13 pm »
I believe it is ה rather than ב.
Illegitimi non carborundum

a

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 03:20:30 am »
Hi Snegovik,
It supposes to be ה according to its position, but the sign appearing there is not ה for sure. I see no coins with similar ה on the net or in Treasure. Might be נ or ב? Since the coin looks like regular issue, I'm wandering how frequently such a typos occur on these coins.

Any thoughts about the king name?

regards,
Explorer

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 07:17:51 am »
Can the most left letter in the 1st line be a Chet? Then it would be Yehochanan.

Jochen

Offline Aarmale

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 09:29:38 pm »
I am tempted to attribute the coin to Hyrcanus I simply from the cornucopia style.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

All coins are guaranteed for eternity