Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Strange Constantius II legend  (Read 885 times)

Offline agord

• Consul
Strange Constantius II legend
« on: February 25, 2015, 04:51:46 pm »
I recieved an interesting coin today. From the auction photos, and on first inspection in hand, the obverse legend
reads
D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVGG
Coin on the left in the photo. The coin on the right is another RIC VIII Rome 259, the same issue, used as a style
comparasion of an official issue.
The bottom pic is a closeup of the legend, and I believe shows that the second G in AVGG is the result of double
punching rather than an engraving error as I had first thought.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Strange Constantius II legend
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 04:47:02 am »
Interesting. 

By double punching do you mean you think it is from a double struck coin or that the engraver used punches to put the letters on the die and used the G twice?

I did notice that the entire right side of the obverse legend is quite a mess when compared to the left side.  The IV are mushed together.  The P and F are both very ugly.  Signs of a double strike?

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline agord

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:27:18 am »
If you look at the bust you can see the double strike with a bit of rotation. Check the forehead, nose and chin. Looks like just enough rotation to explain the extra G.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 12:12:50 pm »
Yah, tip of eye and eyebrow too.  But all the seems to point towards a slight drift to 3 o'clock direction, maybe with a bit of rotation downwards, and yet the second G has shifted quite far to 7 o'clock direction.

I don't doubt it was a double strike.  Like I said I see lots of chewed up letters etc.  I just can't figure out exactly how it worked.

Same with the Gordian III sesterius double strike I posted in Coin of the Day a few days back.  Only a small amount shifted. 

I am really fascinated with these double strikes.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 12:24:22 pm »
Souldn't the D N CONSTANTIVS P F AVGG 'N' in the obverse legend show shadowing above the head as well if it was shifted?  I've seen some coins that seem to imply that the die engraver had either too much room left or not enough and made a mess by the time they were done.  This might explain more the clairity on one side vs. the other?  Maybe a bit too much wine at lunch-break??;) 

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 05:03:00 am »
That's the strange thing about many double strikes.  It is not a case of even double strike everywhere.  The second strike seems to fix some but not all.

Check out this sestertius.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=100605.0

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 09:45:48 am »
Interesting.  Perhaps it's due to an uneven heat exchange, or different pressure points on the 2nd strike?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity