Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: R.I.P. Rick Witschonke (1945 - 2015)  (Read 3447 times)

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
R.I.P. Rick Witschonke (1945 - 2015)
« on: February 25, 2015, 09:43:20 am »
I have just heard news, via Peter van Alfen at the ANS, that the very
well known collector/numismatist/etc. Rick Witschonke passed away.

I am sure that those closer to him both personally and geographically
will be better positioned to speak about him, but for those others who
may be interested here is an old, 2006, note from the ANS website:
http://ansmagazine.com/Winter06/Witschonke
One of the luminaries of his field. A sad loss indeed.

Walter Holt
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: R.I.P. Rick Witschonke (1945 - 2015)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 11:36:58 am »
This is very sad news. I only learned about his illness at the NYINC last month. I regret that I never had the opportunity to meet him and thank him for all he did for numismatics. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and his many friends at this difficult time.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 12:25:17 pm »
What a loss. 

I had only been introduced to him recently by Andrew McCabe and he was going to give me a tour of the ANS next time I was in NY. 

We only borrow our coins as stewards of their well being for a short time and I'm glad he was able to see his collection get passed on to the next generation of caretakers.  I've been buying acquiring quite a few items from his library recently and they've got all sorts of fascinating notes in them.  He must have been quite a gentleman scholar. 

He'll be missed.

C

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 03:10:44 pm »
This has been a very sad day, as I knew Rick well. I last met him just a few weeks ago when we spent a very enjoyable day going through boxes of Roman Provincial coins, with I pulling out interesting pieces (how many of us have ever held a drachm [sic] of Aesillas or of Sulla, not to mention a complete run of Fleet bronze types), and Rick commenting on whatever I trawled up. We shared a bottle of 1945 bordeaux over dinner (Rick's birth year, and also a famously good vintage). At some later time I'll come back with more thoughts, when I get my head together.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 03:23:08 pm »
My condolences to his family and to you, Andrew, for losing a friend.  Tonight I'll view his excellent collection in my copy of RBW.

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
  • I came, I saw, I'm still looking.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 06:18:38 pm »
Very sad news.
Every day I know less and less about more and more. Soon I expect to know nothing about everything.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 04:42:34 am »
Wow.  What a shock and loss for the whole community.  Too young too.  He should have been with us for years yet.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 08:29:43 am »
Hi folks,

I only recently became aware of him and his contributions to the hobby.

His passing is a great loss for the ancient numismatic community.

Meepzorp

Nathaniel R

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 12:42:55 pm »
I was lucky enough to participate in the 2011 Graduate Summer Seminar at the ANS. For the first few weeks, Rick led the entire class through lectures, introducing the study of numismatics to graduate students from across the country. In the second half of the program, I was matched to work directly with Rick on a die study of a Republican Roman denarius issue (C. Alli Bala, Crawford 336, Sydenham 595). Rick was so modest, so humble, and so friendly that I was truly stunned to learn, over the course of the seminar, just how accomplished and respected he was in the field of numismatics.
I am deeply saddened to learn of his passing. I suppose it is a reflection of his humility that, after two months, I only just now learned of his demise. Though I've visited this site numerous times as a guest, I joined Forum Ancient Coins precisely to share my grief and thoughts on this wonderful, charming, caring man. Rick was incredibly helpful in my individual research and will stand as a formative figure in my numismatic life, shaping my ongoing interest in ancient coinage even as I have left the world of academia. I know Rick touched many lives, and it brings some solace to know with utmost certainty that his contributions will continue to be seen in the further scholarship of those he worked with directly, or whose work was indirectly influenced by his own efforts.
Thank you, Rick, for your dedication to the field; for your generosity of time; and for your friendly smile - even when I was most stumped by my die study, you were always willing to put down whatever you yourself were working on to give me a moment of your precious time. I just with you had been issued more time to share with the world.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 10:46:00 am »
Thanks for sharing your story Nathaniel.  I must have been great to work with him, especially on something as interesting as a Republican denarius die study. 

Hopefully now that you have formally joined the site you will stick around and join in our discussions.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity