Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: crowned guy silver  (Read 916 times)

IndianerJones

crowned guy silver
« on: February 23, 2015, 07:32:11 am »
21mm i just can't figure it out:-(

Need some help guys

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: crowned guy silver
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 08:01:14 am »
How have you tried to figure it out so far?
Andreas Reich

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 08:35:42 am »
At the risk of appearing unfriendly, I have to agree with areich on this one.  The obverse legend here is the name of the emperor spelled out clearly followed by AVG.  That is about as straightforward as they get.  The reverse is more cryptic since the legend is not terribly clear CONSERVATOR AVG.  The give away is the snake coiled around a staff as carried by the god of healing Aesculapius

I do see on this coin evidence we need some better help for beginners' ID problems.  I like to look up similar coins on acsearch.com but their search facilities exhibit poor handling of spelling variations. This god's name is spelled  Aesulapius, Aesclepius, Asclepius, Askelpios and probably some I have missed.  If you recognize the god on the reverse or the correct reading of the reverse legend you could search and select from the rulers that used the type (hint, this is not Aurelian).  The fact remains that you need to take a list of rulers and compare the names to the legend on your obverse.  You can do it.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 01:15:12 pm »
A staff with a snake (in formal numismatic language, serpent) wound round it is always Asklepios or whatever spelling takes your fancy.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Danny N

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 04:18:05 pm »
As a relatively new collector I have found when you can make out some of text on the obverse if you go to Roman Imperial Coins (RIC) and in the index type in the letters you can make out on the obverse. For example if you can make out the first 3 letters type these in and a list of possible emperors will be listed which will enable you to quickly identify the emperor. I then used to go through all the coins until I found a matching reverse by looking at the portrait (this was a very long and time consuming way to do it) - doing what the forum has recommended would be much quicker as I have found out in recent times.
adiuvantes populus est sibiipsi praemium

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 10:54:36 pm »
For 'Mr. Crowned Guy Silver', you can figure him out just by browsing the Forvm coin shop a few times.  As a beginner this makes it both fun and informative.  Slowly you'll get to know many common coins just by general looks at first glace.

I'm assuming that you find the research a bit boring or something of the sort.  If most of your coins are low-key and inexpensive just go to the end of the catelogue(cheaper coins) and work your way back;)

Then you can try wildwinds (my favourite so far) and find more specifics.

Matt

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 11:22:52 pm »
You could also just go to acsearch.info and enter the Emperors name and the word "snake" and it comes up.  You don't need to know the name  of the deity.  Takes seconds to scroll down and find similar type.  Not that we don't want to just tell you but it's more satisfying to find it yourself.

IndianerJones

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 07:09:02 am »

By trying identifying its ruler's name, sometimes coins look so similar

IndianerJones

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 07:16:05 am »
For 'Mr. Crowned Guy Silver', you can figure him out just by browsing the Forvm coin shop a few times.  As a beginner this makes it both fun and informative.  Slowly you'll get to know many common coins just by general looks at first glace.

I'm assuming that you find the research a bit boring or something of the sort.  If most of your coins are low-key and inexpensive just go to the end of the catelogue(cheaper coins) and work your way back;)

Then you can try wildwinds (my favourite so far) and find more specifics.

Matt

Excuse me? I've found my research never to be boring! As the matter of fact I'm trying my best to identify my coins with excitment! It's just a fact that I get stuck with some of their ID's!

IndianerJones

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 07:19:58 am »
Thank you everybody for your participation!

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 07:55:16 am »
Sorry Indianer, I didn't mean to label you in any way.  I just assumed that because this one was such an easy one to identify(at least the emperor) that the had to be another reason for your inquiry.

As a jesture of good, will try looking at 'Crisis and Decline' antoninianus' and work from there;)

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 08:12:52 am »
On the home page here; click on " Ric tables by Helvetica".  I think you'll find that helpful for most of your coins.
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity