Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ...after much work.....  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
...after much work.....
« on: February 12, 2015, 10:16:13 pm »
I thought to share one of my uncleaned coins (now cleaned) which gave me the absolute most trouble; but with some reward.  It was once 3-4 times as thick with pure mineralization and not just dirt.  This is what became of it- not perfect, but when ANY details at all began to show I was excited to continue.

For any 'newbees' that might read this and are begining with some uncleaned coins, perhaps it could be a humbling of expectations, or perhaps it could be hope for things to come.  For me it's just a bit sentimental now;)

Offline EvaJupiterSkies

• Praetorian
Re: ...after much work.....
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 11:33:20 pm »
This is encouraging to see. I've got a similar coin with some serious mineralization going on right now, but every couple of days I go at it for a bit and more and more detail on the obverse especially is coming out.  At first it was just a face, but now I'm getting up into where hair should be and I'm constantly surprised... I might be dealing with one of Rome's leading ladies, as there appears to be some sort of bun hairstyle... anyways, I'm glad to see progress elsewhere.   +++

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 04:37:05 am »
Congratulations on persevering with a super-crusty coin.  At least it is now completely identifiable.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 10:25:02 am »
Thanks for the feedback!  I've been using Wildwinds to attribute most of my earlier purchases and it's been a lot of fun.

Eva just a heads-up that I foolishly overlooked at first using Wildwinds:

-click to view thumbnails (pictures) or it looks like a mess to newcomers

-do a screen search with anything you discover on the coin, for example:  ___MAM___  or possibly you see 'scales'

Good luck with the ID.;)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity