Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Stocktake and database update  (Read 496 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Stocktake and database update
« on: February 09, 2015, 07:41:51 am »
Fellow collectors,

I'm just going through the relatively tedious annual task of stock-taking and database update on my collection. I'm a pretty disorganised chappie, and one can hardly imagine how untidy it all gets. So far I've discovered 5 coins that were not in any of my records (all, one way or another, retail buys not involving the major sites), and 1 coin that is in my records but is missing. I eventually traced the one missing piece to having bought it, but not having collected it from the dealer, a dealer whose full name I cannot recollect, and who does not have an internet presence or any contact details. By a stroke of luck, I bumped into him at a coin fair on Saturday, so it's going to get sorted out. Other tasks in my annual book-keeping include weighing coins for weight-unknown pieces, updating information on provenances so far as possible (hence yesterday's lucky find of three coins in a single 1933 FPL), removing entries for now-duplicate-coins to a separate spreadsheet of items to dispose of, updating my entire spreadsheet with RBW numbers, which are now my second subsidiary catalogue references apart from Sydenham and Crawford, marking in green bold types those RBW numbers where the actual coin is mine, and once I've got the spreadsheet and references in a half-way decent state (some tasks will carry over for a later time) actually doing the physical reconciliation with what's in the trays (a task that's mostly done in the gloom of a deep vault somewhere far from home), split between the main collection, the academic coins (typically bronze super-rarities in atrocious condition) to be kept, other less important non-duplicates that might be disposed of in time, and actual duplicates for disposal now. Also updated are my purchase records: I dispose of the actual invoices since anyway they are rarely descriptive, and make MS Word documents with all dealer-supplied information: seller photo and descriptions, which once a quarter, once additions are logged in, I save in pdf format. It's my intention to bind up in hardback a colour print of all the pdfs going back 15 years or so sometime. I thought I'd share the process as maybe other's have different way of doing things. I suspect that even for 1000+ coin collection, my book-keeping needs are much heavier than most because of the very high churn rate in my collection: despite having built up the collection over 30 years, each year perhaps 20% by number is added and perhaps 30% coins taken out the back and disposed of, and that does contain the seeds for potentially a great deal of chaos. That I'm only paying the difference between purchases and sales, and disposals numerically exceeding sales for many years past, does make it a bit of an accounting nightmare to work out what things have actually cost (do I apply FIFO or LIFO rules and such dilemmas!) but I try not to worry about that too much for now...

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Stocktake and database update
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 07:36:55 am »
Just to say that I'm still working on this ... this is maybe the largest spring-clean I've done on my collection since I think 2009. I've so far identified 185 coins that, with a great deal of reluctance, I think I should pass on to other collectors over the next year or two. And I located and retrieved a bag containing mostly Magna Graecia and Imperatorial era provincial bronzes that I no longer collect. Housekeeping my collection is in a way a lot of fun.

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
  • I came, I saw, I'm still looking.
Re: Stocktake and database update
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 10:45:57 pm »
Brave man, Andrew. You know how un up to date my database is. I'm thinking of becoming a Hindu. If I can reincarnate as a rrc collector a few times I may catch up. Seriously though, I suspect my collection won't be properly recorded until it goes to its final resting place (after I go to mine). I suppose one just has to prioritize. A vaguely identifiable 56/2 is less important to fully record than a CN.DO triens.
Every day I know less and less about more and more. Soon I expect to know nothing about everything.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity