Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Strange Trachy like Coin With Text on the Obverse Ae 24-25mm 3.7g  (Read 538 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I recently picked this trachy like cup Ae 24-25mm 3.7g coin from a $4.00 mixed Byzantine pick box .  While it is the cupped shape and thinness of a trachy, there are 4 lines of text on the obverse (if it were a cup coin).  I think that the last 3 lines read ThEO BA SILEVS R OMEON.  There appears to be an S on the first line.  But for that "S", I would think that would be similar to the text on the issue of Leo VI SB1728 which reads LEON EN ThEO BA SILEVS R OMEON.  There is nothing on the reverse

I would enjoy hearing your opinions on this odd coin.  Was it minted as a trachy? Is it a misshaped regular issue? If so, what was it?  There is no remnants on the inner side of the coin.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: Strange Trachy like Coin With Text on the Obverse Ae 24-25mm 3.7g
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 12:15:51 am »
The reverse looks like that of SB 1761 CONST/ENQEOBA/SILEVS/OMEON

that being said if it was restruck as a trachy, I would presume a overstrike and I do not recall ever seeing a trachy off hand that has been rest struck over a older follis???? someone correct me otherwise?

I wonder if it was hammered as a decorative piece or has been bent in a accident? fire perchance?

weight is a little light for a 1761 but being clipped and worn as it is. 3.7 g is not far off,

I have one that weighs in at 4.45g

CW

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Strange Trachy like Coin With Text on the Obverse Ae 24-25mm 3.7g
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 03:05:28 pm »
It is really quite a puzzle.  I agree with you that it appears to be the revere of a Constantine VII, AE Follis.  It is so definitely and deeply "cup shaped" that I think that it was intentionally done rather than merely being bent or otherwise damages in a fire.  The light weight is due to its being quite thin. 

My thoughts is that it is an altered coin rather than a trachy like coin.  However, there is nothing on the flip side of coin to indicate its use if it is an altered coin (such as a button or jewelry/decorative item).   I would enjoy hearing any other ideas as to how it came to be.
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity