Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown mint on Alexander tetradrachm  (Read 347 times)

Offline Caesarincarnate

• Consul
  • Vorenus, you look like you've seen the gorgon.
Unknown mint on Alexander tetradrachm
« on: January 31, 2015, 02:10:39 am »
Greetings all,

I am just trying to decide what the mint is on this coin, and have not been able to find it anywhere. Any info on this matter would be a wonderful help. Thank you! I'm sorry I do not know why the pictures keep coming out upside down, but after clicking on it, it turns right side up. Thanks again

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
Re: Unknown mint on Alexander tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 02:23:21 am »
Possibly Corinth  ... assuming that is Athena standing with spear and shield in left field reverse and that is a small Nike on the throne throne back  (the photo is not good enough to unequivocally resolve these points) .... potentially part of the Corinth series similar to which these belong  .....    https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-115703  (note small Nike on throne back)   https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-115704

Is there a mint control letter/monogram beneath the throne? A better reverse image would help.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Caesarincarnate

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 03:03:41 am »
Yes thank you I believe you are correct. It does appear to be Athena, and under the throne appears to be an OA enclosed in a circle or semi circle.

Offline Caesarincarnate

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 03:18:01 am »
This should be a little better.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 03:52:02 am »

I took the liberty of enhancing your images, hope it helps.

Offline Caesarincarnate

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 04:16:01 am »
Nice job. I'm not sure if I have access to similar photo software on my iPad. And my computer is just a pain with this rotten mega browse malware. Either I'm not terribly tech savvy, so I do thank you for that, and as always, I appreciate all input greatly.
Regards,
Scott

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 05:43:59 am »
 Corinth - Price 694, 310-290 BC ..... same obverse die...
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity