Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hadrian Denarius  (Read 518 times)

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Hadrian Denarius
« on: January 30, 2015, 08:58:22 pm »
Hi all,
I've got this super beat-up Hadrian denarius. I think it's Ric 80 but I can't find an example with a similar bust with the strappy thing around his shoulder. I was hoping someone could confirm my attribution or point me in another direction. (Optimally pointing me to a similar example) Thanks!

Josh

17-19mm
No weight available.

PS: although it looks rough, it doesn't seem to have a copper core or anything. The cracks show silver throughout. Thanks again!

***edit - I understand that "strappy thing" is not the normal term... I assume it's some sort of cuirassed wear. I've just only been able to find them draped or without either.

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Re: Hadrian Denarius
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 09:53:16 pm »
Also as a follow-up question, what would cause this type of damage? Fire?

Offline Giuseppe R

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 10:52:40 pm »
HADRIANUS (117 - 138)
Denar, 119 - 138, Rom. IMP CAESAR TRAIAN HADRIANVS AVG. Gepanzerte Portraitbüste des Kaisers mit Lorbeerkranz nach rechts. Rs: P M TR·POT-E-S COS III. Aequitas mit Füllhorn und Waage nach links stehend. RIC 80(c); Cohen 1118. 2,82g. Selten. Sehr gutes frühes Portrait, vorzüglich

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 04:39:29 am »
The strappy thingy is  the aegis.

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 01:33:57 am »
Thank you teodato and benito! Very helpful information. I must have looked at over 100 examples of RIC 80 on many sites and couldn't find one with the aegis.

Josh

All coins are guaranteed for eternity