Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Provincial coin of Gordianus III, Neocesarea  (Read 375 times)

eriknorthman

Provincial coin of Gordianus III, Neocesarea
« on: January 30, 2015, 10:24:12 am »
Last coin of the day, I promise! :D

I have attribuited a mint for this coin...but I can't find other example like mine.
On the reverse...instead of the typical crown/urn there is a sort of decorated whreat. A palm, under the table.
Can you help me?

Thank you very much guys!!

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Re: Provincial coin of Gordianus III, Neocesarea
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 10:58:38 am »
PONTUS, Neocaesarea. Gordian III. AD 238-244. Æ 28mm (16.72 g, 6h). Dated CY 178 (AD 241/2). Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind / Agonistic crown with central jewel inscribed with letter A set on prize table; palm below table; date in exergue. Çizmeli 305 (D2/R9); RG 52 var. (palm on rev.; same obv. die); Lindgren III 141. Very rare

(same reverse die).

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

eriknorthman

Re: Provincial coin of Gordianus III, Neocesarea
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 11:11:50 am »
Woww...it is very rare too!
Thank you very much!!

Mirko

All coins are guaranteed for eternity