Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Domitian & Domitia double portrait on a very rare Cappadocian didrachm  (Read 590 times)

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
After the series of the Secular games, the coinage of Domitian became for a few years rather repetitive and in lower style, i.m.h.o..

It seems, however, that in the very last years of his reign, the emperor had taken new interest in his coinage: actually not only a bunch of  new types was made for the imperial series, but the mint of Rome also supplied some very interesting issue for several eastern provinces.

Among these are included the silver didrachms minted in 93-94 for circulation in Cappadocia.

Most of these coins bear the portrait of Domitian only, but were also struck a small series with the double portrait of the emperor and the empress, coupled with the same reverses.

I've been lucky enough to spot this coin with Mount Argaeus on reverse: two only specs mentioned in RPC II, no one in the large Cappadocian hoard studied by Metcalf, no example available in the usual web resources.

A lovely rarity.

Kind regards

Alberto

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-117477

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: Domitian & Domitia double portrait on a very rare Cappadocian didrachm
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 03:53:06 pm »
That is a terrific type. Congrats on acquiring this awesome rarity!

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 05:03:01 pm »
Thanks David, I was very excited during in the final seconds of the auction!

Alberto

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 09:18:52 pm »
Hi FD,

Congratulations on a nice rarity!

I always liked those Cappadocian coins, with the mountain on the reverse. I have 1 silver (I think it's Tiberius, if I remember correctly) and a few AE's.

Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 03:12:37 am »
Thanks Meepzorp,

the mountain is quite impressive in the Cappadocian skyline (my picture 2011).

Alberto

All coins are guaranteed for eternity