Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: This is what I found in a batch of uncleaned!  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
This is what I found in a batch of uncleaned!
« on: January 23, 2015, 09:16:00 pm »
This is what I found in a batch of uncleaned coins about a year ago.  I wasn't sure to be excited or dissapointed(if it was added as filler)

My researching took me in circles, but I believe it is a 1500-1600 East Indian bronze Dokdo coin.  It's about 12mm, but I never did weigh it.

Anyone else catch one of these slip into an uncleaned roman batch?

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: This is what I found in a batch of uncleaned!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 09:53:21 am »
More likely an Umayyad coin.  You need to rotate it 90 degrees.  The inscription is possibly the Bismillah.

Not sure if it is Syrian or Spanish Umayyad.

Shawn

PS.  Yes, the Syrian ones are common in "Holy Land" lots and the Spanish Umayyads turn up regularly in Spanish uncleaned lots.
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
Re: This is what I found in a batch of uncleaned!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 05:35:51 pm »
After looking at Umayyad coin examples this does seem more likely.  I remember cleaning it, so it wasn't purely thrown into the batch, and if I remember well, it was in fact a Spanish lot of uncleaned.  Some of you on this messageboard truly know their stuff, I'm impressed!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity