Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Should I clean more or stop?  (Read 1167 times)

Offline mwalker

• Praetorian
Should I clean more or stop?
« on: January 22, 2015, 12:41:51 pm »
Hello all,

ID info is scarce on this late roman (most likely VALENTINIAN). I can make out the vague lumps of letters on the exergue but I'm down to the patina on this one.

For those of you that have experience cleaning - what would you do?

Also, this late roman evidently has a die clash that makes the reverse even more obscure.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Should I clean more or stop?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 01:14:32 pm »
Nothing left to clean

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 02:28:56 pm »
You wrote that you have a microscope. With some very fine tools (much finer than eg a dental pick) you should be able to remove some little dirt from the 'reverse'. But the coin won't really look spectacularly different.
Andreas Reich

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 11:44:18 pm »
I would say the coin looks pretty nice. so Stop!  If you clean it any more (other than what Areich said) the picture will go away and leave an orange pitted surface.  There does not seem to be any active bronze disease.
Regards, V-drome

Offline mwalker

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 02:44:23 am »
I would say the coin looks pretty nice. so Stop!  If you clean it any more (other than what Areich said) the picture will go away and leave an orange pitted surface.  There does not seem to be any active bronze disease.
Regards, V-drome

Thanks much. I have lots of coins with a green patina like this. Can you please point out exactly where you suspect BD to be? I haven't yet treated any.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 11:15:57 am »
Hi M,  I actually do Not see any BD, so I think the coin will be fine.

Regards, V-drome

Offline mwalker

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 02:53:46 pm »
Hi M,  I actually do Not see any BD, so I think the coin will be fine.

Regards, V-drome

Taking my uncleans down to FL next week so I'm always cautious of such a thing in that hot humid weather.. Thanks for the re-check

All coins are guaranteed for eternity