Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Buying Ancients and Taking Them Out of Italy: Laws and Practice  (Read 42 times)

Offline jskirwin

• Praetorian
As a collector of ancients and frequent traveler to Italy I have read a lot of conflicting information, including several posts on this forum, regarding the purchase of ancient Roman coins as a tourist in Italy.
What are the laws of purchasing coins in Italy, and taking them out of the country - such as home to the UK, USA or Canada?
And what are the practicalities of doing so?

I have never purchased coins in Rome, and instead spent the time at the Capitoline Museum which has coins I could never afford, and have only rarely seen come up at auction.
In my time as a collector, I have advised others to do the same due to the unclear laws and the potential delay at customs. But I have been taken to task for my reticence, and gotten into some rather heated arguments with other collectors over this matter.

I know that Andrew McCabe and Meepzorp have written on this issue 10 years ago, but I would like to know what the laws - and practicalities are of buying coins in Rome and leaving the country with them.
Collecting Deification Issues in all forms.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: Buying Ancients and Taking Them Out of Italy: Laws and Practice
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 05:31:20 pm »
Italy has very strict export permit laws now and a very slow bureaucracy. Exporting legally from there isn’t something you can do while visiting in vacation, in my opinion.

To be honest though, I rarely see worthwhile coins in the major Italian cities these days, and when I do, they are overpriced compared to dealers in almost any other country.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity