Allison Sermarini's Maps of the Ancient World
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Maps - yet another Forum Ancient Coins' Service for collectors! Part of our effort to be Your Favorite Ancient Coin Shop. Allison Sermarini is studying classics at UNCG. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Part of our effort to be Your Favorite Ancient Coin Shop. We hope these maps enhance ancient coin collecting for you. Please don't forget to visit our shop today!

Maps Home | Add a Map | Last Added | Last Comments | Favorite Maps | Search Maps
Home > Europe > Ancient Macedonia

TITLE  +   - 
FILE NAME  +   - 
DATE  +   - 
POSITION  +   - 
Macedonia_ad400~0.png
Map - 400 AD The Roman Province of Macedonia406 viewsMap of Macedonia c. 400 AD, showing the administrative division into dioceses and provinces, as well as the major cities.
Macedonia_SPQR.png
Map - 116 AD The Roman Province of Macedonia524 viewsMap of the Roman Empire during 116, the province Macedonia highlighted.
map_ancient_macedonia_1900pix.jpg
Map - Ancient Macedonia459 views
Map_of_the_Expedition_of_Alexander_The_Great_of_Macedon_1696.jpg
Map - Map of the Expedition of Alexander the Great of Macedon406 views
Stobi_tlocrt.gif
Map - Stobi - plan of archeological site389 viewsThe Northern Basilica. The church has three main parts: a narthex, an exonarthex separated by colonnades and an atrium constructed mostly of marble. In the northern part there is a Baptistry and in the southern part are Slavic graves. The church, which was built at the beginning of the 5th century, can be entered from the street Via Principalis Inferior. The Civil Basilica is south of the north basilica and was discovered in 1937. In 1956 archaeologists found that there were seven building phases. Between the North and Civil Basilicas are the ancient Thermae Minores, or "Little Baths" made of stone blocks.

The Central Basilica and Synagogue can be entered from the Via Principalis street. The Central Basilica was built on a Synagogue at the beginning of the 5th century and had two building phases. The floor of the Synagogue was discovered 1.5 m (4.9 ft) under the level of the central basilica. Dating from the 4th century, it was built on an older synagogue from the 3rd century, created by the father of the Synagogue of Stobi, Tiberius Claudius Polycharmos. Inside were two vases dating from 121 to 125.

The House of the Psalms, in front of the central basilica, has a central room with a mosaic floor, a room with colonnades, a big pool and columns in the western part of the yard.

Via Axia is one of the main streets in Stobi. Its oriented east-west and its discovered only small part of the street.

The Main Town Public Fountain is located on a small square created by the streets Via Axia and Via Principalis Inferior.

The Magnae Thermae, or Big Bath, discovered in 1931, consisted of two rooms: one large room with a statue and a pool made of stone blocks. The reconstructed bath was in use until the late 6th century.

Via Principalis Inferior was a major street of the city running from the central basilica to the main town fountain, then to house of Partenius, the 'Palace of Theodosius' and the house of Psalms.

The House of Peristerius was a large living complex for several families and also had rooms for shops. The Peristerius family owned the rooms in the southern part of the complex. The central part of this complex is a yard under open sky, with fountains on the western side. In the eastern part is an excellent example of floor mosaics and in the middle there is a fountain made of marble. The complex and the mosaics date from the late 4th or the early 5th century. The Via Theodosia street is parallel to Via Axia and its located between the house of Peristerius and the 'palace of Theodosius'.

The Palace of Theodosius was where the emperor Theodosius first stayed while in Stobi. The floor is covered with marble blocks and the peristyle with mosaics in the technique opus sectile. The other rooms are also decorated, dating from the 4th-5th century.

The House of Partenius is located near the southern part of the Palace of Theodosius, and is connected to it by a wall making it into an L-shaped building standing for Latin.

Valavica (Domus Fullonica) is a complex of connected shops and residences, built on older objects. The name regards only one phase of building in the small yard, whereas in the 5th century there was also a workshop for painting and making carpets. The complex was in use from the 1st century to the 6th century.

The Episcopal Basilica, dating from the 5th and 6th centuries, with a baptistery to the south.
     
5 maps on 1 page(s)